Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2006 07:48:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        jeremie@le-hen.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to disable a src.conf on command-line

In message: <20060609094052.GH1273@obiwan.tataz.chchile.org>
            Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org> writes:
: (My concern is about activation of stack-smashing protection compiler
: options.  I'd like the user to be able to use -DWITHOUT_SSP to
: compile something, even if he has WITH_SSP=YES in src.conf(5).
: Should I turn the name of this options into ENABLE_SSP and pull it
: out the bsd.own.mk magic ?)

First, there's the trick:
	make -V MK_FOO
if you are unsure of the results.

For make options that default to enabled, turning them off in one
place (command line or src.conf) will turn them off.  Likewise for
on.

So if you make WITH_SSP off by default, then having WITH_SSP in the
src.conf can't be overridden.  If you have it on by default, having
WITHOUT_SSP in the src.conf file can't be overriden.  this appears to
be an unintended flaw with the with/without stuff.  I'm not sure the
right way to compensate.

Finally, please don't invent another way to configure the system.
Many code reviewers will not like you much for doing that, since we've
recently worked hard to make them all regular.  If you need to do
something the current scheme doesn't allow, we need to expand the
current scheme somehow.

Warner