Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2006 15:33:40 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        darren.pilgrim@bitfreak.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jeremie@le-hen.org
Subject:   Re: How to disable a src.conf on command-line

In message: <4489E354.5070201@bitfreak.org>
            Darren Pilgrim <darren.pilgrim@bitfreak.org> writes:
: M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > So if you make WITH_SSP off by default, then having WITH_SSP in the
: > src.conf can't be overridden.  If you have it on by default, having
: > WITHOUT_SSP in the src.conf file can't be overriden.  this appears to
: > be an unintended flaw with the with/without stuff.  I'm not sure the
: > right way to compensate.
:
: I can't speak for the "right" way, but if you specify the variable in
: src.conf/make.conf with ?= instead of =, you can override it on the
: command-line:
:
: # grep KERNCONF /etc/make.conf
: KERNCONF?=TTPWEB
: # make -V KERNCONF
: TTPWEB
: # env KERNCONF=SOMETHING_ELSE make -V KERNCONF
: SOMETHING_ELSE

?= doesn't mesh well with WITH/WITHOUT because then it will always be
defined, thus defeating its purpose.

Warner