Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:18:04 -0400
From:      Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        Greg Lane <greg.lane@internode.on.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Subject:   Re: kernel panic(?) trying to copy data off failed drive with dd

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:37:25PM +1000, Greg Lane wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 11:16:28AM +0200, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip=
.cz> wrote:
> > >Advice please?!?
> >=20
> > Maybe you can try /usr/ports/sysutils/cpdup which can skip read errors.=
=20
> > I used cpdup few years ago on HDD with bad sectors with success - lose=
=20
> > only few unreadable files from the middle of disk.
>=20
> I am installing that right now and will give it a try in the morning=20
> when I am sitting next to it. I want to keep the machine alive=20
> overnight while I copy some other stuff over the network to another=20
> machine, since I may take this opportunity (replacing the disk) to upgrad=
e=20
> to 6-stable.
>=20

The problem here is that if the drive wedges the controller then the
kernel really cannot do anything about it. Your drive is SATA so I'm
not sure if hardware exists that can help you but were it normal ATA I
would put it in an external USB or firewire enclosure and try the dd
from there. That way if the controller gets wedged during the read
process it's the USB controller and you weren't depending on it for
access to your root filesystem, swap space, etc.

-- Chris

--=20
Chris Hilton                                   chris-at-vindaloo-dot-com
                "All I was doing was trying to get home from work!"
                                                 -- Rosa Parks

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7--