Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:28:55 +0100
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPN with FAST_IPSEC and ipsec tools

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 01:43:54PM +1000, Michael Vince wrote:
> I have setup the GRE tunneling and that is working fine doing pings and
> tracerts when I disable ipsec and ipsec-tools, its just the encryption
> side thats the problem.

Ah, I guess this means you're following the instructions in the FreeBSD
handbook, which last time I looked gave a most bizarre and unnecessary way
of setting up IPSEC (GIF tunneling running on top of IPSEC *tunnel* mode). I
raised it on this list before.

Most people are better off just setting up IPSEC tunnel mode. A few use GIF
running on top of IPSEC _transport_ mode (e.g. those running routing
protocols like OSPF over tunnels)

Regards,

Brian.