Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:53:50 +1000
From:      Nick Withers <nick@nickwithers.com>
To:        Dan Lukes <dan@obluda.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: memory pages nulling when releasing

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:11:45 +0200
Dan Lukes <dan@obluda.cz> wrote:

(snip)

> 	To Nick: OS doesn't zero on free.

FreeBSD does*, if the "J" flag is set in _malloc_options /
MALLOC_OPTIONS, as per my original message (or at least, I
believe this is the case, going by malloc(3)'s man page -
please correct me if I'm wrong).

* Alright, it doesn't zero, as such, but will (again, unless
I've misunderstood the malloc(3) man page) initialise each byte
to 0xd0

> For better security of your sensitive data you need zero the memory by
> self. For inspiration I recommend to see the CRYPT_malloc/CRYPT_free
> implementation in OpenSSL. Don't forget the edge situations also (when
> your program can prematurely exits, you need the clean the key memory
> on "atexit" or so).

Good point, I hadn't thought of that!

--
Nick Withers