Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:58:45 +1000
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, pjd@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: Re: Accessing disks via their serial numbers.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 03:55:22PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> The reason people have trouble understanding this very basic point is
> that UCB strayed from the UNIX philosophy when they added all the socket
> system calls instead of adding the /net filesystem.

I don't know if anyone's interested, but I started to have a
look at Minix-3 the other day.  Andrew Tanenbaum is trying to
make it grow into a real, useful embedded OS, so now it has a
"TCP/IP" network stack (and fully scheduled user-mode device
drivers...)  The interesting thing is that the TCP/IP stack
doesn't provide sockets.  It provides /dev/rtk (etc) for raw
ethernet drivers, and /dev/ip for raw IP and /dev/tcp for TCP
sessions.  You open /dev/tcp, do ioctl's to make a connection
and then read()/write() to send and receive data.

Totally off topic, but kind of interesting, too...

Cheers,

--
Andrew