Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2006 06:32:26 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: contiguous memory allocation problem

--Yia77v5a8fyVHJSl

On Fri, 2006-Jun-30 20:29:28 +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>I sometimes see that the USB driver is unable to allocate contiguous memor=
y=20
>for itself. For example I noticed that FreeBSD was unable to allocate=20
>350kbytes of contiguous memory after that I had run "konqueror", the KDE w=
eb=20
>browser and various other memory consuming applications for a while.

I reported this about 18 months ago and I'm fairly certain you even
contributed to the thread at the time.

>Any comments?

The latest concensus seems to be that the USB system should make use of
the scatter-gather facilities in the hardware to avoid the need to
allocate large contiguous memory chunks.  iedowse@ had mostly finished
implementing this in mid May.

--=20
Peter Jeremy