Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2006 00:09:08 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   weird limitation on the system's binutils

Hello!

I'm wondering, why the bfd and related bits and pieces of binutils are built
to support only the architecture(s), that can natively run on the system?

Why can't I use gdb or objdump on FreeBSD/i386 to analyze a core file, or a
binary from another FreeBSD or even from a non-FreeBSD system?

The tools themselves support that. The sources (bfd-vectors) for all other
supported architectures are part of the tree (under contrib/). So, why not
build them?

If it really is SO much of a bloat, why do we install gdb, etc. in the first
place?

	-mi

P.S. What I also want is the /lib/libbfd.so and friends, so I (and the 15
devel/*binutils ports) can build my own tools linking with it. Unfortunately,
that too remains impossible...