Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:04:41 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vlans and cloning

--ftEhullJWpWg/VHq

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 10:52:33AM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Sam Leffler wrote:
> >I committed the revised netif cloning api so you can now specify
> >parameters when cloning.  I also modified the vlan code to use this
> >mechanism so doing something like:
> >
> >ifconfig vlan create vlan 1 vlandev em0
> >
> >causes a single request to clone a vlan together with the tag+parent
> >device parameters (i.e. and no subsequent SIOCSETVLAN request).
> >
> >Given the above do we still need to support setting vlan tag+device
> >separately or can we just require everything be specified when doing the
> >clone operation?  This would change the user api but otherwise I can see
> >no reason for continuing to support the old mechanism where you do:
> >
> >ifconfig vlan create
> >ifconfig vlan0 vlan 1 vlandev em0
>=20
> /me wants to do:
>=20
> "ifconfig em0.1 inet 192.168.2.2/24"
>=20
> Even simpler.  And yes, this works already but only if if_vlan.ko
> was loaded before or compiled into the kernel.  It doesn't do auto-
> load.

Unless cause ifconfig to autoload all if_ modules when cloning fails,
it's impossiable to support this without having if_vlan loaded.  That
said the current plan it to eliminate if_vlan and integrate vlan support
directly into if_ethersubr.c to allow use to correctly handle the
default vlan case among otherthings.

-- Brooks

--=20

--ftEhullJWpWg/VHq