Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:43:59 -0700
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@mathisen.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   fdescfs functional in 6.1?

I will confess, I have on idea if this is what's supposed to be happening.

The OpenBSD spam filter system need access to /dev/fd/7.  Man page says that
I need to mount the fdescfs to get access.

Fine.

I'm running 6.1-STABLE.

So here's what I see, and it looks very odd:

devfs is mounted, fdesc is unmounted:

s2# ls -l /dev/fd
total 0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  250,   0 Jul 25 03:25 0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  250,   1 Jul 25 03:28 1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  250,   2 Jul 25 03:27 2

Looks just like I think it should.

Then:
s2# mount -t fdescfs fdescfs /dev/fd
s2# ls -l /dev/fd
total 16
crw--w----  1 root      tty         5,   1 Jul 28 18:01 0
crw--w----  1 root      tty         5,   1 Jul 28 18:01 1
crw--w----  1 root      tty         5,   1 Jul 28 18:01 2
d-w-------  1 mailnull  mailnull       512 Jul 23 00:01 3
d---------  1 root      wheel          512 Jul 25 03:25 4
s2# umount /dev/fd

This thing is all over the map.. permissions changed, a *directory*
for fd's 3 and 4?

SO I can believe that fdescfs is broken, is there some way to
create the entries via mknod on bootup, or some entry in the devfs
source that will make say through fd 20?

Or is it working just like it should, and I should just not worry about it?