Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:10:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Barkley Vowk <bvowk@math.ualberta.ca>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Jos=E9_M=2E_Fandi=F1o=22?= <freebsd4@fadesa.es>
Subject:   Re: atheros chips dangerous?

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> The Atheros driver in FreeBSD is maintained and compiled by Sam Leffler,
> who has been around since BSD 4.2 in the early eighties sometimes.
>
> I trust Sam.

I don't think that quite answers his question however. Its not so much a
matter of trusting Sam, but a matter of trusting that Sam had enough
access to the binary objects in question to have eliminated the errors in
them. While I see that his name is in the copyright notice on the contrib
code, I don't see anything to indicate that most of the code isn't shared
between most platforms. So there might be a good chance that whatever bugs
affect the OsX drivers, also affect the freebsd ones.

That being said, I do trust Sam, and code written by Sam. I don't know
however if this blob of code I'm loading was actually written by Sam, or
just wrapped to work on freebsd by Sam.