Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:49:18 -0700
From:      soralx@cydem.org
To:        Undisclosed.Recipients: ;
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quiet computer

> > Well, it would be nice to get a general idea about performance of a C3...
> > Can you run a UNIX benchmark ('ubench' in ports) on that laptop? Don't
> > worry about getting really accurate readings, it's not that important.
> > And maybe post the results to the hardware@ list -- I'm sure someone
> > else will be interested.

> Unix Benchmark Utility v.0.3
> Copyright (C) July, 1999 PhysTech, Inc.
> Author: Sergei Viznyuk <sv@phystech.com>
> http://www.phystech.com/download/ubench.html
> FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Fri Jun 16 09:21:34 PDT
> 2006     root@PCBSD.localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PCBSDv1.11 i386
> Ubench CPU:    15374
> Ubench MEM:    21651
> --------------------
> Ubench AVG:    18512

Hm, this is not impressive at all. In fact, quite disappointed i am (but
then, I really expected a miracle, I suppose). OTOH, the chip _is_ low
power, and should be good enough for any 'home server' type machine
(or even an embedded system). Hopefully VIA's newer CPUs are better.
But CPU score looks far too low... Could you test it in single-user
mode, just to be sure? I stil have some hope ;)

Compare to the scores of dual-CPU P133 (>95% idle) heavy metal I use
now as a server:

Author: Sergei Viznyuk <sv@phystech.com>
http://www.phystech.com/download/ubench.html
FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan i386
Ubench CPU:    11911
Ubench MEM:     4572
--------------------
Ubench AVG:     8241

And Pent 4 Northwood 2.4GHz workstation with 800 cycles/sec RAMBUS memory
(rather well loaded, upscale scores by at least 11%):

Author: Sergei Viznyuk <sv@phystech.com>
http://www.phystech.com/download/ubench.html
FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Fri Aug 25 02:55:08 PDT 2006
Ubench CPU:    73144
Ubench MEM:    93751
--------------------
Ubench AVG:    83447

> VIA C3 1GHz processor (133x7.5) on a Yakumo laptop, I didn't enable any
> power management (the kernel is the one that CPBSD comes with to install).
> Oh, yeah, this laptop has PCBSD on it, but I guess it's no change to the
> kernel etc regarding to FreeBSD 6.1
> I was no doing anything with the laptop by the time of benchmarking, but KDE
> was running (and idling).
> RAM is 256MB DDR266. The laptop was plugged in to the AC adapter.
>
> hope this helps someone. Any other benchmarking is possible, but I might not
> get the time immediately to do it ;) just ask me what you want. this is a
> total test machine anyway ;)
>
> ANdrei
> http://students.oamk.fi/~t6ruan00/

[SorAlx]  ridin' VN1500-B2