Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:32:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, danny@cs.huji.ac.il
Subject:   Re: numbers don't lie ...

Danny Braniss wrote:
 > [...]
 > but the original question stands:
 > why is the user time between the boxes so different,

Because the dual-core Opteron is significantly faster than
the (single-core) Xeon, so buildworld takes less (user) CPU
time.  By the way, certain parts of buildworld make use of
both cores, even if you don't use the -j option.  If CFLAGS
contains the -pipe option (which is the default), various
stages of the toolchain can run in parallel (preprocessor,
compiler, assembler).

 > whyle the real time remains the same?

Because buildworld is I/O-bound on systems with sufficiently
fast processors.

Try putting the contents of /usr/src into a RAM disk and
repeat the benchmark.  The numbers might look a little
different then.  Of course, you should have sufficient RAM
in the machines -- If they're going to swap to the disks,
your benchmark won't be happy.

I think putting /usr/obj onto a RAM disk is _not_ necessary
because of soft-updates, so the processes shouldn't block
on writes.

Best regards
   Oliver

"C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie.