Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:08:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Zbigniew Szalbot <zbyszek@szalbot.homedns.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: log rotation, one process doesn't know about it

Hello,

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Bill Moran wrote:

> Do one of the following:
> 1) Configure both exim and dovecot to log through syslog with the same
>   facility.  Then configure syslogd to put that facility in the file
>   you want.

As FBSD is still new to me, I am trying to understand what it would
involve. Exim is configured to log to /var/log/exim/mainlog. In the
newsyslog.conf I have

/var/log/exim/mainlog mailnull:mail 640 60 * @T00 ZC

Does it mean exim uses syslogd? It is not obvious to me. If it does, how
can I do the same with dovecot? In dovecot.conf I have the path pointing
to /var/log/exim/mainlog. If I want to use syslogd, do I have to write to
/var/log/maillog?

I want to get it right using the first solution. Thank you very much
for your patience with me!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot