Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:30:02 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Joerg Pernfuss <elessar@bsdforen.de>
Subject:   Re: [patch] rm can have undesired side-effects

--nextPart2008763.zpj0jJP4Kn

On Monday 30 October 2006 10:06, Joerg Pernfuss wrote:
> > I guess that it can be fixed (in case it is not desired) by:
> >  - Ignoring the -P option when the link count is greater then one, or
>
> Silently ignoring user specified options is seldom a good way to go.
> The user explicitly stated he wants to wipe the file contents.

I disagree that the user really meant to wipe the file if its link count is=
=20
>1.

IMO having rm -P not wipe the file if its link count is >1 is a good idea.
if you are deleting a tree containing a file with links then this will resu=
lt=20
in the file getting wiped in the end anyway because the link count will be =
1=20
after the first link is removed.

Also, -f ONLY means to ignore permissions (or rather, try to ignore them).

It would be easy enough to add a diagnostic message in the -P case where th=
e=20
link count is >1.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."