Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2006 08:16:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Daniel Valencia <fetrovsky@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [patch] rm can have undesired side-effects

Actually, I would like to support this motion... Thinking over the possible=
 behaviours of -P is to sit in a room saying "to delete or not to delete...=
"  If you think it over from a higher perspective, "The UNIX Way" (TM) is t=
o have individual commands for specific tasks and to extract tasks from com=
mands that have gotten too complex... and I think this is the case of rm...=
  a "shred" command should be added that has the following behaviour:=0A=0A=
if the file is not writable, return with error.=0Aif the file has multiple =
links, and option -f was not specified, return with error.=0Aoverwrite the =
file.=0Aoptionally, unlink the file.=0A=0AAdditionally, -P should either be=
 rm'ed from rm, or added as a backwards compatibility hack that calls "shre=
d" and returns with error every time the latter does.=0A=0AThese are my 1.9=
9 cents.=0A=0A=0A- Daniel=0A=0A=0A----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: Tim C=
lewlow <tim1timau@yahoo.com>=0ATo: Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>; Doug B=
arton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>=0ACc: delphij@FreeBSD.org; perryh@pluto.rain.com;=
 freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org=0ASent: Monday, October 30, 2006 12:20:33 PM=
=0ASubject: Re: [patch] rm can have undesired side-effects=0A=0A=0A--- Baku=
l Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> wrote:=0A=0A> Sorry if I tuned in late:-)=0A> =
=0A> I vote for taking *out* -P.  It is an ill-designed=0A> feature.=0A> Or=
 if you keep it, also add it to mv, cp -f & ln -f=0A> since=0A> these comma=
nds can also unlink a file and once=0A> unlinked in=0A> this matter you can=
't scrub it.  And also fix up the=0A> behavior=0A> for -P when multiple lin=
ks.  And since mv can use=0A> rename(2),=0A> you will have to also dirty up=
 the kernel interface=0A> somehow.=0A> Not to mention even editing such a s=
ensitive file=0A> can leave=0A> stuff all over the disk that a bad guy can =
get at. =0A> If you=0A> are truely paranoid (as opposed to paranoid only=0A=
> when on=0A> meds) you know how bad that is!=0A> =0A> If you are that conc=
ious about scrubbing why not add=0A> scrubbing as a mount option (suggested=
 option: -o=0A> paranoid)=0A> then at least it will be handled consistently=
.=0A> =0A> What's the world come to when even the paranoid are=0A> such=0A>=
 amateurs.=0A> =0A> -- bakul=0A> =0A=0ABased on all the potential situation=
s where a -P=0Aoption may possibly be implemented, is it worthwhile=0Aconsi=
dering creating a command that just scrubs a=0Afile, and does nothing else.=
 This would seem to fit=0Athe Unix paradigm of single command to do a singl=
e=0Athing, and may be preferable to attempting to embed=0Athis function in =
every command that may "possibly"=0Aremove a file.=0A=0AJust my 2c=0A=0ATim=
_____________________=0ALow, Low, Low Rates! Check out Yahoo! Messenger's c=
heap PC-to-Phone call rates =0A(http://voice.yahoo.com)=0A=0A______________=
_________________________________=0Afreebsd-hackers@freebsd.org mailing lis=