Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:01:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, aag.lists@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Ramdisk support

Aditya Godbole wrote:
 > Is there any ramdisk support in freebsd, as there is in netbsd?

Sure.  To mount a 200 MB swap-backed memory filesystem on
/tmp, add this lie to /etc/fstab:

md   /tmp   mfs   rw,async,nosuid,-s200m,-m0   0   0

 > What are the alternatives if I want to mount a root filesytem from ram?

You mean a diskless setup?  I think there's a detailed
description of diskless setups in the FreeBSD Handbook.
You might also want to look at the diskless(8) manpage.

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  Such questions are more appropriate for the freebsd-
questions list.  They're not really "hacker" questions.

"The scanf() function is a large and complex beast that often does
something almost but not quite entirely unlike what you desired."
        -- Chris Torek