Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:52:23 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        Nicolae Namolovan <adrenalinup@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, andre@freebsd.org, support@syskonnect.de
Subject:   Re: Marvell Yukon 88E8056 FreeBsd Drivers

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 03:33:21PM +0200, Nicolae Namolovan wrote:
 > I took the hack from http://kerneltrap.org/node/7135, that guy said
 > that in linux you must "add the 4364 devID into sky2.c symply search
 > for 4363".
 >
 > I apply the same idea to
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~andre/mykbsd60x86-8.12.1.3-src.tgz,
 > modifyed oem.c and oem.h,
 >
 > oem.c
 > { VENDOR_ID_MRVL, DEV_ID_MRVL_4361, SUBVENDOR_ID_ANY, SUBDEVICE_ID_ANY,
 > "Marvell 88E8050 Gigabit Ethernet Controller, Ver. 8.12.1.3"},
 > { VENDOR_ID_MRVL, DEV_ID_MRVL_4362, SUBVENDOR_ID_ANY, SUBDEVICE_ID_ANY,
 > "Marvell 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet Controller, Ver. 8.12.1.3"},
 > + /* custom add..not sure */
 > + { VENDOR_ID_MRVL, DEV_ID_MRVL_4364, SUBVENDOR_ID_ANY, SUBDEVICE_ID_ANY,
 > + "Marvell 88E8056 Gigabit Ethernet Controller, Ver. 8.12.1.3"},
 >

 > oem.h
 >
 > #define DEV_ID_MRVL_4362 0x4362
 > + /* custom add..not sure */
 > + #define DEV_ID_MRVL_4364 0x4364
 >
 > After I compile it.
 >
 > That was sufficient to make this driver to hook mine Marvell Yukon
 > 88E8056, I can see it in ifconfig but i get:
 >
 > "status: no carrier"
 >
 > Tried to make the interface down/up, put away/back the network cable,
 > didn't help.. Still "no carrier".
 >
 > But it works fine under M Windows (so the problem is not in network
 > cable or the network device)..
 >
 > Any suggestions ?
 >
 > Maybe I must load the Windows drivers with NDIS, but I'm afraid of
 > performance degradation/instability ?
 >
 > Marvell Yukon 88E8056 are in the popular ASUS P5B and Gigabyte 965P-S3
 > motherboards.

You can find latest msk(4) at the following URL.
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/msk/msk.HEAD.diff

It supports the device ID you mentioned but I don't know whether it
works or not. ATM the driver has three known issues.
 o poor Rx performance
   I'm working on this but had no clue so far.
 o 88E8055 hangup :
   One user reported system freeze when msk(4) is loaded. Since I don't
   have the hardware it's very hard to fix. :-(
 o Manual speed selection doesn't seem to work.
   It needs additional code for e1000phy(4) to fix.

You need latest CURRENT to aplly the patch. The driver will print very
ugly number sequnces but you can safely ingore it.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon