Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:36:51 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <netchild@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rong-En Fan <rafan@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.org, pav@FreeBSD.org, Jose Alonso Cardenas Marquez <acm@FreeBSD.org>, keramida@FreeBSD.org, jylefort@brutele.be
Subject:   Re: linux ports policy

Quoting Rong-En Fan <rafan@FreeBSD.org> (from Tue, 12 Dec 2006 =20
21:39:18 +0800):

CCing keramida and pav in the hope someone of them can put something =20
into the porters handbook. Also CCing emulation@ because this is a =20
generic topic of interest (and maybe someone can detect a bug or two =20
in what I describe below).

> I CC'ed netchild@ and jylefort@.
>
> I saw there was a mail last year:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2005-March/022212.html
>
> about the policy on linux ports. The concern is about whether
> we should prefix linux- for every linux ports.
>
> Current PH says nothing about this. So, what's the policy now?

We have no policy.

Now that the official part is done :) the current way things are handled:

Infrastructure ports should be installed into LINUXBASE (generic =20
libs). Enduser ports (e.g. acroread, games, ...) should install into =20
LOCALBASE. Ports for which native versions are likely to appear =20
(current examples are infrastructure ports like libs, and browsers =20
like firefox/opera) need to be prefixed with "linux-". This includes =20
not only the port name but also the binaries and the install location =20
(in case of enduser applications; we don't want them to interfere with =20
native applications if they install plugins or some application =20
specific libs).

I can't remember to have seen an agreement that we need to prefix =20
every linux port with the linux- prefix. If a linux port uses the =20
prefix, it is nice in my eyes, but I don't think it needs to be done =20
in any case. Maybe "Porters are encouraged to add the linux- prefix =20
but are not required to do it." describes it best.

As always this are just some guides. If it is not possible to use a =20
different location for applications specific libs (most of the time it =20
is possible), the porter needs to find a working solution, but he =20
needs to be aware that there may be problems when mixing native stuff =20
with linux stuff. Sometimes using CONFLICTS may be a good solution, =20
sometimes installing an enduser application into LINUXBASE and =20
providing a wrapper in LOCALBASE to start the stuff in LINUXBASE may =20
be the way to go.

Comments for this particular case are below.

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 12:45:44PM -0500, Jose Alonso Cardenas Marquez wro=
te:
>> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 16:07:52 +0000 (UTC)
>> Rong-En Fan <rafan@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>> > rafan       2006-12-06 16:07:52 UTC
>> >
>> >   FreeBSD ports repository
>> >
>> >   Modified files:
>> >     games                Makefile
>> >   Added files:
>> >     games/mtaserver      Makefile distinfo pkg-descr pkg-plist
>> >     games/mtaserver/files mtad.in pkg-message.in
>> >   Log:
>> >   Add mtaserver 0.5, multi Theft Auto: Vice City and GTA3 dedicated
>> >   server.
>> >
>> >   PR:             ports/106399
>> >   Submitted by:   Alexander Logvinov <ports at logvinov.com>
>> >
>> >   Revision  Changes    Path
>> >   1.1060    +1 -0      ports/games/Makefile
>> >   1.1       +44 -0     ports/games/mtaserver/Makefile (new)
>> >   1.1       +6 -0      ports/games/mtaserver/distinfo (new)
>> >   1.1       +39 -0     ports/games/mtaserver/files/mtad.in (new)
>> >   1.1       +6 -0      ports/games/mtaserver/files/pkg-message.in (new)
>> >   1.1       +6 -0      ports/games/mtaserver/pkg-descr (new)
>> >   1.1       +8 -0      ports/games/mtaserver/pkg-plist (new)
>>
>> Hi :)
>>
>> It's a linux-base ports and you missed some things
>>
>> - Use linux- prefix for port-directory,port-name, port-rcscript and
>> port-executable file.

While I would be happy to see a native version of a game, I don't =20
think there will be one from a commercial vendor (the GPLed stuff from =20
id software doesn't count). So I think it is ok to keep it as it is.

>> - Respect DOCSDIR (Changelog, README, LICENSE)

If the port does not referency anything of this at runtime: yes.

>> - Use ${INSTALL_*} macros for executable and data files

Yes.

>> - Use ${BRANDELF} if it's necessary

It is necessary, for every ELF executable (but do *not* brand a lib or =20
plugin). We have Makefile glue for this.

>> - I think that is not good idea install this app to
>> ${PREFIX}/${PORTNAME}, if you see another linux_base-games, they use
>> ${PREFIX}/lib/${PORTNAME}

Wouldn't libexec be a better place? For a this particular case I agree =20
with installing it somewhere else, but for e.g. linux_dist-gentoo =20
lib/xxx would not be ok. So if someone puts a sentence or two about =20
this into the PH, we should mention that there are some valid reason =20
to not do it this way.

>> - You could install data files to ${DATADIR}, and you could create a
>> syslink to it into ${PREFIX}/lib/${PORTNAME}

I think this only makes sense when the data can be shared where the =20
rest of lib/$PORTNAME is not usable or does not make sense. I doupt =20
this is the case for this port, but I know nothing about the game.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
http://www.Leidinger.net  Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org     netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137
The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
=09=09-- Buckminster Fuller