Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2007 12:37:08 +0200
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@kuzbass.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WITNESS & RELENG_6

--a/RL+Md+4nRpYrpt

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 06:07:27AM +0200, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 04:01:04PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 January 2007 09:18, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >=20
> > > I try to find bugs in 6.2-PRERELEASE by using it (q) :-)
> > > The question is: are kernel options WITNESS/WITNESS_KDB expected
> > > to be in usable kernel? I don't worry about performance overhead here.
> > >=20
> > > The problem is, I've found this is nearly impossible to run
> > > my home system with RELENG_6 build from yesterday's sources,
> > > X.org 6.9.0, mplayer etc. without panicing and crashdump generation
> > > after an hour or so. Just switch from X to vty and logon gave me anot=
her
> > > LOR and crashdump. One of these you can see here:
> > >=20
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/107455
> > >=20
> > > Perhaps, I should not use these options for everyday STABLE use?
> > >=20
> > > Eugene
> >=20
> > I think you are running into devfs bugs actually.
>=20
> I would suggest that the problem may be in the nvidia driver instead.
> It seems to be related to dev cloning.
>=20
> Anyway, obtaining exact location of fault in devfs_populate_loop (either
> with crashdump/kgdb or manually) would be first step.

Ok, thanks to Eugene for sending me requested information in private messag=
e.
The problem is revealed by INVARIANTS option, not by WITNESS, and is defini=
tely the use-after-free.

in src/nvidia_dev.c, nvidia_dev_close(), that is cdevsw.d_close proc,
the destroy_dev() is called. Please, apply rev. 1.199 of sys/kern/kern_conf=
.c.
I expect that crashes shall stop, but non-killable processes (in the "devdr=
n")
state would accumulate.

Please, confirm.

--a/RL+Md+4nRpYrpt