Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2007 01:53:25 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PF in kernel or as a module

--nextPart1993469.oDF9YYB5g8

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 22:57, Martin Turgeon wrote:
> I would like to start a debate on this subject. Which method of
> enabling PF is the more secure (buffer overflow for example), the
> fastest, the most stable, etc. I searched the web for some info but
> without result. So I would like to know your opinion on the pros and
> cons of each method.

Kernel module - loaded via loader.conf - is as secure as built in.  There=20
is a slight chance, that somebody might be able to compromise the module=20
on disk, but then they are likely to be able to write to the kernel (in=20
the same location) as well.  An additional plus is the possibility of=20
freebsd-update if you do not have to build a custom kernel.

Note that some features are only available when built in: pfsync and=20
altq - this is not going to change for technical reasons.

Performance wise there should be no difference.

=2D-=20