Date:      Mon, 7 May 2007 14:42:31 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: xorg upgrade plans

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 11:38:46AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >After many months of hard work (mostly by flz@, as well as others) we
> >are approaching readiness of the xorg 7.2 upgrade.  Because this is a
> >huge and disruptive change, we're going to approach it very carefully.
>
> Good news that this is moving forward! Congrats to all involved.
>
> >The current plan is the following:
> >
> >2) Final prep work in git repository.  We need a day or two to confirm
> >the upgrade method for users.  Unfortunately testing has exposed a
> >critical deficiency in portupgrade so 'portupgrade -a' will not be
> >enough to give a working upgrade, and some pre-upgrade steps will be
> >required.
>
> Has portmaster been evaluated as an upgrade tool? I'm in a better
> position atm to be able to address any deficiencies if that will help
> speed this along.

No, at a minimum I am not comfortable recommending its use until it
saves old shared libraries across updates (I sent you email about this
a while ago), which is a vital safety and robustness mechanism.

> >Also a post-upgrade step is required to deal with merging
> >remaining files from /usr/X11R6 into /usr/local.
> >
> >3) Once the proposed upgrade method is in place, we will publish a
> >tarball of the prepared ports tree and request that *all* our ports
> >developers test the upgrade on their own machines before it is
> >committed to CVS.  There are many things that can go wrong and we need
> >to make sure that the upgrade goes as smoothly as possible for our
> >less technical users.  In particular all ports committers are expected
> >to participate in this process of eating our own dogfood :)
>
> Any updates on a timeline for this?

Some time this week

> >4) Once a suitable number of success reports (e.g. 50) are received
> >and all reported issues are resolved, we'll proceed with importing
> >into CVS.
> >
> >5) CVS will stay frozen for a period to be evaluated (probably another
> >couple of weeks) to deal with the inevitable remaining fallout as
> >users encounter yet more problems with the upgrade.
>
> Do you intend to keep the entire ports tree frozen for weeks? Perhaps
> I misunderstand?

Yes, that is the plan.  This is an "all hands" event, and keeping it
frozen is the best way to focus developers onto those tasks.

Kris