Date:      Wed, 23 May 2007 12:44:50 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@incunabulum.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gigabyte GA-VM900M caveats

--nextPart2274876.Y8xyHxjRZx

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 12:17, Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> Thanks for the affirmation that I'm not alone in this. The whole
> point of RAID being supported by platform firmware is to facilitate
> booting from it even if disks fail.

Yes, I was pretty pissed off when I found out about it. I was even more=20
pissed off at Epox's weak response :(

> > When I asked my motherboard vendor about this they suggested I
> > switch to SATA mode (to boot off one disk) or to put another disk
> > in and rebuild... Not exactly good for unattended use.

Yep.
The JMicron RAID in my Core 2 Duo system seems OK.=20

That said all of these software RAID implementations seem to suffer from=20
a serious limitation - if the disk fails temporarily and the array=20
becomes degraded and you then subsequently reboot it will see 2 arrays=20
and can boot off the stale one.

I would expect a more sensible implementation where it would scan the=20
disks and if it sees 2 disks with the same array ID but differing ages=20
it should ignore the older disk.

This assumes that the RAID code increments the generation number (or=20
whatever) when it notes the array is degraded.. I would hope so but=20
maybe I'm wrong.

I have been bitted by this several times especially in SATA as it seems=20
more likely to get temporary failures (especially with dodgy PHYs like=20
Marvell)

> Yes, utter crap, and a waste of valuable time.

Yeah, I stumped up for 3ware in the end.

Not that they are MUCH better, I have several pending issues with them, =20
but so far as I can see they are the only manufacturer of 2 port=20
hardware RAID cards.

> [Normally I have been running 7-CURRENT on that machine, with the
> JMicron card, so up until now this hasn't been an issue, but this is
> what kicked off the whole shooting match in the first place, and I
> need to be able to multi-boot Windows "Longhorn" Server and Gentoo
> Linux for the work I'm going to be doing.]

I have Windows XP and FreeBSD 6.2 on my Core 2 Duo/JMicron system. sos@=20
is looking at a problem in current (it doesn't see my disks).

I tried Ubuntu on this system but its dmraid doesn't grok the JMicron=20
metadata properly (not to mention that dmraid does almost no error=20
handling and so I am loathe to use it)

> I wonder if people have had better experiences with JMicron. I am
> encouraged by the work Scott Long has begun, although that is going
> to take time to bear fruit. I can't burn too much time on this
> though, I needed a working server today.

I only have 1 JMicron system and it works OK so far (modulo my issue=20
in -current).

The last good, cheap RAID card I used was a Promise FT100/TX2, alas it=20
is PATA only and they don't sell them any more.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum