Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:57:13 +0200
From:      Flavio Castelli <micron@bglug.it>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   file system notifications

Hello to all, I develop an open-source desktop searching program called=20
Strigi. Since actually the program supports file system notifications only=
=20
under Linux (using inotify), I would like to add this feature also to freeB=
SD=20
users.
I looked at kqueue and I played with it a bit, but unfortunately I discover=
ed=20
it isn't enough for me.

That's what I have to do: watch a set of directories and get notifications =
for=20
some kind of event that happens into these directories.
The main problems with kqueue are:
=2D I have to open tons of file descriptors
=2D struct kevent doesn't tell event's main character (the file/dir that ha=
s=20
been created/modified/deleted/...)

Searching around I discovered that darwin has fsevents (a device used also =
by=20
Spotlight), but it isn't available under freeBSD (am I right?). You can see=
=20
its sources here [1] and here [2].

So, what can I use for monitoring file system events under freeBSD?

Thanks in adance
        Flavio

[1] http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/bsd/sys/fsevents.h?v=3DDARWIN8
[2] http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/bsd/vfs/vfs_fsevents.c?v=3DDARWIN8
=2D-=20
|=A7 micron<- ICQ #118796665
|=A7 GPG Key:
|=A7  ~ Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
|=A7  ~ KeyID: 6D632BED

~ "Progress is merely a realisation of utopias" ~