Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:32:42 +0200
From:      Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
Cc:        Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez <jlalarcon@gawab.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patches for the 6.2-RELEASE kernel

 Le 26/06/2007 à 16:18:36-0400, Jerry McAllister a écrit
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 07:03:05PM +0200, Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks.
> >
> > I am FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE user. i'm learning FreeBSD.
> >
> > Some times, i see people have a system named 6.2-RELEASE-pxx, where
> > xx is a number. I know that -pxx are security patches, or not only
> > security and too are patches for solve bugs?.
> >
> > My dude is: is very convenient have upgraded the kernel to this
> > patches. I'm a home user, not a bussiness. Nothing "important"
> > depend on my system.
> >
> > My second dude is: how is the "upgrade" process?, are there this patch
> > files in any concrete web site and the user must download it and apply?,
> > are there any "automatized" mechanism for get it?.
>
> Check out csup (previously called cvsup) in the handbook.
> Then csup your system to  RELENG_6_2  or even  RELENG_6
> and your ports to the latest.

For the ports it's better to use portsnap. It's work very fine.

Be carreful with RELENG_6 it's stable version (something like unstable in
Debian). But if it's for your home computer you can use-it.

Regards.
--
Albert SHIH
Observatoire de Paris Meudon