Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:59:33 -0700
From:      Jonathan Dama <jd@ugcs.caltech.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD_4_EOL tag, last known index file?

>From Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>, Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 12:59:50AM +0200:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 03:05:30PM -0700, Jon Dama wrote:
> > Is there a port index file that corresponds to the FREEBSD_4_EOL tag?
> > I am unable to rebuild the index from the tagged checkout.
>
> The official INDEX file is no longer available nor supported.  You
> should be able to build it by "cd /usr/ports; make index'.  If that
I am aware of that.  The trouble of course is that for whatever reason
the make index target appears to fail--although I am not entirely
convinced that this isn't a local problem.  Still I would have expected
that the tag point to at least be useable, meaning that make index would
work.

> doesn't work for you, I'm afraid the only supported configuration is to
> upgrade to 6.2-RELEASE, which you probably want to do anyway, if not
> just because security fixes are not applied to earlier versions.
Strictly speaking the EOL means that the base has been abandoned by the
security officer and the ports collection, not that it is abandoned entirely.
People with commit access may still make contributions into RELENG_4...

Anyways I'm only trying to act within the constraints that I've been given.
My mandate does not include upgrading to RELENG_6 so your advice is not
immediately useful.

What I am interested in hearing is confirmation that the EOL tag works to
the extent it was intended to work...