Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:43:45 +0200
From:      Momchil Ivanov <idiotbg@gmail.com>
To:        "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
Cc:        josh@tcbug.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>, olli@lurza.secnetix.de
Subject:   Re: removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

--nextPart2876896.OHRNQ5nC26

On Thursday 19 July 2007 09:17:48 [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> Norberto Meijome wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:41:04 +0200 (CEST)
> >
> > Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
> >> another work-around
> >> is to use the auto mounter daemon (amd(8)).  It umounts
> >> file systems automatically that are not in use.
> >> Another nice feature of amd(8) is that you don't have
> >> to mount the file system either -- Simply plug the USB
> >> stick in, then access it, and amd(8) will automatically
> >> mount it for you.
> >
> > Now, something I dont understand  -  amd runs
> > at user level, and it mounts filesystems, and nothing dies when the
> > filesystems go away (other than the obvious cases for the applications
> > trying to write to the FS in question). Doesn't amd , at some point ,
> > have to tell the kernel 'please mount this filesystem' here or there?
> > Isn't the kernel STILL involved in all this? and why doesnt the kernel
> > panic when the FS goes away?
>
> The trick is that amd unmounts the device after a couple of seconds, so
> when someone accidentally removes a usb drive, it doesn't really matter.
> Amd will simply fail to mount it on the next access. If you remove the
> device during or shortly after accessing it, it still will panic the
> system.

What is then the reason for the kernel not being able to unmount a filesyst=
em=20
whose provider is no longer present? What in the process of unmounting deni=
es=20
unmounting a filesystem whose provider is no longer available? Why can the=
=20
kernel not just inform all programs that files have to be closed and are=20
unaccessible any more, then consider the fs as unmounted and remove any bit=
s=20
of it left in the VM. Why can kernel not just ignore interruped/pending=20
writes to that fs, drop the data, return an error to the program that=20
initiated the write and just go on.

=2D-=20
PGP KeyID: 0x3118168B
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint BB50 2983 0714 36DC D02E =C2=A0158A E03D 56DA 3118 168B
 =20