Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:02:04 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, keramida@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: emacs-22.0.99_1

On 2007-08-20 03:06, Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just downloaded and compiled emacs a little while ago. The
> emacs version number says 22.1.1. It seems as if there is some memory
> handling bug in the GTK part of emacs. The application dumps core
> every time when I try to open a file from the menu. I have also had a
> word with the devs on #emacs on irc.freenode.net. They have confirmed
> the bugs and also told that there has been some patches which are
> available in the cvs. They are to be integrated in the next release
> (22.2, most likely) but that would again be about a month maybe more
> from today.
>
> However to restore the stability of emacs I would request you to
> kindly integrate the said patches.

Many thanks for taking the time to investigate this.  The crashes when
GTK+ is enabled are a long-standing annoyance with FreeBSD's malloc()
implementation and the internal gmalloc.c of GNU Emacs.  It was finally
resolved properly a few days earlier.  I have integrated the patches to
at least the editors/emacs-devel port, and I am testing the build of the
new Emacs these days.

I apologize for leaving the port stale for so long, but it's a fairly
big moving target right now, with the release of GNU Emacs 22.2 in the
works.

The integration of the patches may require a bit of care though, since a
lot of GNU software has switched to GPLv3 and I am a bit unsure about
the proper way to integrate GPLv3 code with our Ports tree.

In the meantime, when I have finished testing the patches to fix the
GTK+ crashes you experienced, I'll open a PR so everyone can look at the
changes, and/or test them a bit more.

- Giorgos