Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2007 01:32:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christopher Arnold <chris@arnold.se>
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Kirc Gover <kirc.gover@yahoo.com.au>
Subject:   Re: OS choice for an edge router

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, Andre Oppermann wrote:

> There are no NICs known that can do packet forwarding offload.
> And neither is there support in FreeBSD for that.  You're probably
> confusing this with checksum offloading or TSO (TCP segmentation
> offloading) which isn't an issue with packet forwarding at all.

This was my understanding to until the original poster inspired be to
google yet another time for a card supporting packet forwarding offload.

To my suprise i found one!

http://netfpga.org/

4 port wire speed GigE forwarding on a PCI card with drivers for linux
CentOS 4. (And inter card links for joining more cards together.)

Hardware developed at Stanford under a BSD license, and they seem to have
cards ready to ship any day now.

I shure would like to take that card for a ride under FreeBSD!

> a single flash disk that is replaceable without having to disassemble
> the entire case.  There are some 3.5" based flash disks on the market
> or buy a CF to ATA adapter for mounting into a 3.5" disk slot and use
> normal but fast CF cards.  That'll do it.

May i ask if you take any precautions to protect against wearing out the
flash?

 	/Chris

--
http://www.arnold.se/