Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:20:15 GMT
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/116458: Logging problems with syslog and ipfw an 6.2.REL-p5

The following reply was made to PR bin/116458; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
To: Maechler Philippe <pmaechler@glattwerk.ch>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:14:30 +0200

 Maechler Philippe wrote:
 > 6.2-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p5 #1: Thu May 24 14:18:34 CEST 2007     root@xx.example.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GKC02X-SMP  i386
 > The log-entries in /var/log/messages are totally scrambled and unreadable
 >
 > there is a statefull IPFW firewall and a caching bind-9.4.1-p1 installed
 > SMP Kernel wit SCHED_4BSD
 >
 > ifconfig output:
 > bge0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
 >         options=1b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
 >         inet xx.xxx.xxx.xx netmask 0xffffffc0 broadcast xx.xxx.xxx.xx
 >         ether 00:19:bb:25:7b:63
 >         media: Ethernet 100baseTX <full-duplex>
 >         status: active
 >
 > bge0 is running in promisc mode because of dsc which is running.
 >
 > sample content of /var/log/messages
 > Sep 14 12:00:00 ns2 newsyslog[94585]: logfile turned over due to size>100K
 > Sep 14 12:00:02 ns2 kernel: 5
 > Sep 14 12:00:05 ns2 kernel:
 > Sep 14 12:00:05 ns2 kernel: 7
 > Sep 14 12:00:08 ns2 kernel:
 > Sep 14 12:00:08 ns2 kernel: 9
 > Sep 14 12:00:11 ns2 kernel: 8
 > Sep 14 12:00:14 ns2 kernel:
 > Sep 14 12:00:14 ns2 kernel: e0
 > Sep 14 12:00:15 ns2 kernel: a bge0
 > Sep 14 12:00:15 ns2 kernel: e0
 > Sep 14 12:00:15 ns2 kernel: <

 Hello,

 First of all thank you for using FreeBSD and taking the time to write
 this report. However I do not think that this is a problem perse, did
 you go and ask around on the ipfw@ mailinglist? They have very good
 clue on the ipfw framework and might tell you what the problem is and
 whether this should be fixed by using the PR system or whether it was
 only you making a typo or something, this is important to not overload
 the ticketing system with potentially things that are not problems but
 user typo's (which ofcourse can occur, we all have that :-))

 Thanks,
 Remko

 --
 Kind regards,