Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:14:04 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brooks Talley <brooks@illuminati.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS corrupting data, even just sitting idle

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 10:04:12AM -0700, Brooks Talley wrote:
> Hi, everyone.  I'm running 7.0-current amd64, built from CVS on September=
 12.  I've got a 4.5TB ZFS array across 8 750GB drives in a RAIDZ1 + hotspa=
re configuration.
>=20
> It's corrupting data even just sitting at idle with no access at all.  I =
had loaded it up with about 4TB of data several weeks ago, then noticed tha=
t a zpool status showed checksum errors about a week ago.  I ran a scrub an=
d it turned 122 errors affecting about 20 files.  The errors were spread ac=
ross the physical disks pretty evenly, so it didn't seem like one bad drive.
>=20
> I left for vacation and unplugged the network from the machine to ensure =
that there would be no access to the disk.  There are no cron jobs or anyth=
ing else running locally that so much as touch the zpool.
>=20
> Upon returning, I ran a zpool scrub and it found an additional 116 checks=
um errors in another 17 files, also evenly spread across the physical drive=
s.
>=20
> The system is running a Supermicro motherboard, Supermicro AOC-SAT-MV8 SA=
TA card, and WD 750GB drives.  2GB memory, no real apps running, just stora=
ge.
>=20
> Anyone seen anything like this?  It's a bit of a concern.

Ok, and why do you blame ZFS for corrupting for data instead of be
thankful for detecting corruptions? I'm quite sure it's not ZFS what is
corrupting your data.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s