Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:32:15 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: www.freebsd.org won't load in IE 7.x in vista box.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:07:55 +0200
J65nko <j65nko@gmail.com> wrote:

> >From the section "Compatibility problems" of
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_window_scale_option
>
> "TCP Window Scaling is widely implemented in the Windows Vista
> operating system. Because many routers do not properly implement TCP
> Window Scaling, it can cause a users Internet connection to
> malfunction intermittently for a few minutes, then appear to start
> working again for no reason. If "diagnose problem" is selected in
> Vista, an error message will be displayed "cannot communicate with
> primary DNS server."
> "

Routers shouldn't care about TCP windows so I guess they're actually
referring to the firewalls on NAT-routers.

What I don't get is why a TCP Window problem affects DNS. It's not
mentioned in the Wikipedia article or the referenced tech-recipes.com
link. Surely Vista doesn't routinely do DNS over TCP.