Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:49:22 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: routing problem

> Sorry my english skills, I'm brazilian and I'm not very familiar with the
> language, but I'm gonna try to explain it clearly:
>
> LINUX SERVER
> private network 192.168.1.1
> external network x.x.x.x
>
> FREEBSD SERVER
> private network 192.168.1.240
> external network x.x.x.x
>
> DNS SERVER
> private network 192.168.1.2
>
> The LINUX machine is the network gateway, I want the FREEBSD to be the
> gateway, so I tested the freebsd machine configuring some clients manually
> to use the 192.168.1.240 as gateway, 3 machines, everything worked. So I
> thought: time to replace the linux server. So I turned off the linux machine
> and changed the ip of freebsd to 192.168.1.1, just it, and then it stop
> working, it can resolv dns for some seconds and then stop. Something I've
> noticed, when it's not the network gateway in fact, with just some machines
> using it as gateway, the return of netstat -r is ok, with the routes of the
> machines accessing it, the active conections, if I just change the ip and
> turn off the LINUX machine, the netstat -r return me no routes at all.
> Pretty strange.
>
> My nameserver is just
> searchdomain xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
> nameserver 192.168.1.1

You've pointed the FreeBSD machine at itself for DNS.  Do you have a DNS
server running on this system?  If not, you need to point it at a valid
DNS server.

If routes are missing then something is configured wrong.  If you'd post
the contents of /etc/rc.conf, it's more likely that we could provide
more detailed assistance.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com