Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2007 05:14:55 -0800
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: duration of the ports freeze

On Saturday 01 December 2007 Pav Lucistnik <pav@freebsd.org> answered part =
of=20
the question:
> On Friday 30 November 2007 21:47:07 Jason C. Wells wrote:
> > Peter Jeremy wrote:

=2E> >
>> > We lucked out last time and got current updates of both gnome and kde.
>> >
>> > "It would be a pleasant surprise if portmgr were able to take KDE 4.0 =
>> > prime time real soon."
>> >
>> > Later,
>>>Jason
>>
>> I must say I am having difficulty understanding the policies applicable
>> during ports freeze.
>>
> What criteria are used to determine whether an update is allowed or barred
> during the freeze?

Pav Lucistnik <pav@freebsd.org> answered part of the question with this=20
interjection:

>David Southwell p=C3=AD=C5=A1e v so 01. 12. 2007 v 03:08 -0800:

>> What criteria are used to determine whether an update is allowed or barr=
ed=20
>> during the freeze?=20

>1) Security update
>2) Build fix on one of the release platforms
>3) Major runtime fix

This seems sensible unless:
a) The freeze is unduly long (I would suggest more than two weeks)
AND
b) There is a major upgrade of a port which is used by a large proportion o=
f=20
users.

In which case I believe such major upgrades should be favourably considered=
=2E=20
Such a policy would reflect the fact that there are many users who need to=
=20
keep their systems up to date (especially when they workin communities wher=
e=20
multiple operating systems are in use). Allowing port freezes to extend for=
=20
long periods should not IMHO be allowed to conflict with the need to keep=20
major ports updated.

This puts added weight to  my second question to which I am hoping for some=
=20
response:
>> The freeze seems to be of longer duration than originally expected while
>> the current inconvenience seems to growing exponentially. I appreciate t=
he
>> long term benefits so please do not think I am in any way critical of th=
ose
>> who are working on this.
>>
>> I would hgowever like to ask, on the basis of what is being learned now,
>> how could the length freezes be diminished on future occasions?

Thanks

David