Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:06:29 +0000
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        "Kirk Davis" <kirk.davis@epsb.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BlackBerry (Re: using libusb)

=D0=CF=CE=C5=C4=A6=CC=CF=CB 14 =D3=A6=DE=C5=CE=D8 2008, Kirk Davis, =F7=C9 =
=CE=C1=D0=C9=D3=C1=CC=C9:
=3D =9A I have ported the uberry driver from OpenBSD over to FreeBSD. =9AI =
have
=3D done a lot of changed and support for the new devices and am just
=3D working on some final changed before submitting it. =9AI abandoned the
=3D linux uberry driver as I didn't like the inteaction with libusb and
=3D running it from userspace.

Thanks, Kirk. Without knowing the details of your work, I can only emphasis=
e=20
once again, the API-compatibility with (the Linuxish) libusb is an absolute=
=20
requirement.

I'm sure, the API can be argued to be lacking in some respect or another. I=
'd=20
also accept the validity of arguments for making kernel-drivers for various=
=20
devices (such as uberry) instead of exposing them as ugen and letting the=20
user-space software deal with them.

However, without the libusb API-compatibility AND the sysctl-compatibility =
for=20
Linuxulator we will not be able to compile/run the applications written for=
=20
Linux (Solaris?).

Some time ago BSD decided to go its own way with video instead of adopting =
the=20
video4linux framework. I don't know the arguments leading that decision, bu=
t=20
I'm quite certain, they were and remain sound... Unfortunately, it also mea=
nt=20
incompatibility with Linux-targeted apps, and we should not repeat the same=
=20
mistake with USB.

uberry(4) is nice, but libusb is a must...

	-mi