Date:      Tue, 05 Feb 2008 17:57:42 +0000
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multimedia/player: negative side-effect of PR ports/119593?

> > But is it actually using gcc 4.2.3 or is it finding some other
> > version?
>
> How can I tell? I'm not familiar enough with the ports framework to
> tell which version it uses.

> > If you run "gcc -v" does it say 4.2.3 ?
>
> This test isn't correct, because it just finds the system
> compiler (/usr/bin/gcc) which is gcc 3.4.6:

So, if ports is using your $PATH, it is finding gcc 3.4.6.

Easy enough to test:

mkdir /var/tmp/1stbin
echo "echo ports is using PATH" > /var/tmp/1stbin/gcc
chmod 755 /var/tmp/1stbin/gcc
PATH=/var/tmp/1stbin:$PATH

And then try rebuilding.  If it does the echo you know it is
using $PATH, so either rearrange your $PATH so that the gcc you
want is first, or change the 1stbin/gcc to be a symlink to the
gcc you want.

If it doesn't do the echo, then it is using something else to find gcc.
IIRC it uses PATH, but it has been awhile.