Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:59:38 +0000
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: caching problems

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 19:22:10 +0200
gareth <bsd@lordcow.org> wrote:

> hey guys, our proxy is caching extremely old copies of the ports index
> and portaudit databases from freebsd.org. our admins claim that they
> cache the following files i need normally:
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/auditfile.tbz
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/INDEX-6.bz2
>
> since they have no no-cache pragma directives, and our admins won't
> budge on their 'policy'. is the freebsd site breaking standards in
> this way?

No, these these files *should* be cachable, but a properly configured
cache shouldn't cache then for very long since their last-modified
headers are usually very recent (and since they have that header they
can be revalidated cheaply). You don't say how old "ancient" is, but
bear in mind that the auditfile.tbz is only fetched every three days
when it's done from periodic scripts.

Have you tried using curl to prefetch the relevant files, IIRC it adds
a header that asks for a refetch or revalidation. That may cause the
cache to update its copy, depending on whether their policy complies
with standards.