Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2008 01:07:34 +0100
From:      "Danny Pansters" <danny@ricin.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kbtv2 beta2 uploaded

Alright, bear with me,

On Friday 22 February 2008 00:56:42 Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Thursday 21 February 2008 22:02:00 Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:04:42 +0100
> >
> > Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com> wrote:
> > > The second beta, v1.92 is available for testing.
> > >
> > > http://freebsd.ricin.com/kbtv2
> > >
> > > In v1.92 several first-run bugs are fixed, a few other known bugs are
> > > gone, and saa tuning works again (freebsd6.3), including after a cold
> > > boot (at the small expense of having to use a rc script to ensure
> > > tuner init which apparently needs to be s l o w). Also found some
> > > bugs in the saa backend tuning code.
> >
> > FWIW, I just tested this beta on my FreeBSD 6.3-stable / amd64:
> > root@kg-quiet# uname -a
> > FreeBSD kg-quiet.kg4.no 6.3-STABLE FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE #20: Thu Jan 24
> > 00:42:47 CET 2008     root@kg-quiet.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/QUIET
> > amd64
> >
> > I have loaded the iic and saa module, set permissions etc. The module
> > attaches:
> > Feb 21 21:50:31 kg-quiet kernel: saa0: <Philips SAA7134 AV broadcast
> > decoder> mem 0xfddff000-0xfddff3ff irq 21 at device 1.0 on pci2 Feb 21
> > decoder> 21:50:31 kg-quiet kernel: iicbus0: <SAA713x I2C Controller> on
> > decoder> saa0
> > Feb 21 21:50:31 kg-quiet kernel: iic0: <I2C generic I/O> on iicbus0
> >
> > I also get these messages in /var/log/messages:
> > Feb 21 21:51:23 kg-quiet kernel: iicbus0: START: bus error (status 0x9
> > loop:12) Feb 21 21:51:23 kg-quiet kernel: iicbus0: START: bus error
> > (status 0x9 loop:12) Feb 21 21:51:23

This is probably not fatal in any way.

> > kg-quiet kernel: WARNING pid 24151 (python):
> > ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0044d00
>
> Hmmm that's a new one.
Nor this (though once I go to amd64 I should try to fix any ioctl 32-bit
oopsies (the one above must be in the kernel/iicbus BTW not in the saa
driver).

> > One thing puzzles me: where is the "channels" button in the gui?
> > I have a "camera" button, but no channels button. The gui says that the
> > card is a Pinnacle PCTV Stereo. actually, when I select Hardware, Info,
> > it says this:
> > saa0:
> > 0x1131  Philips Semiconductors
> > 0x7134  Philips SAA7134 AV broadcast decoder
> > 0x11bd  Pinnacle Systems Inc
> > 0x002b  PCTV Stereo

OK, I think you're getting the webcam GUI because tuner object failed to
initialize. there's a certain test to determine if its a TV or webcam
backend.

Your card seems to have a microtune tuner mt2050 which is not yet supported by
the saa backend. I'm looking into it. Unfortunately it differs from the other
generic tuner APIs for saa in that tuning and init are to be handled
differently (mt2032 is supported by bktr, so I can peek there). THis is an
important tuner to have support for though for several reasons:

- it's on a chip, not in a large chunky metal enclosure
- hybrid, though this is not the scope of kbtv, this tuner is a natural fit
for DTV and is widely used as such
- I have an eyeTV hybrid USB stick here that I'd like to support and it has an
mt2060 which is as far as I can see (for analog TV) exactly the same. With
the cx88 driver from Linux, nee Marcus, nee Linux, nee Marcus, for the video
only I can probably have a much easier time porting it than if I also have to
use the linux tuning stuff. This is a longer term goal, not for v2.0.

Cheers,

Dan