Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:47:22 +0100
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-Utah <kwl2363@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Mirroring / Cloning FreeBSD System

On Wednesday 27 February 2008 22:43:31 FreeBSD-Utah wrote:
> I have a question on how to mirror a FreeBSD
> installation / system.
>
> This environment will have two identical / separate
> systems referred to as =93System A=94 and =93System B=94
>
> -	I want to install FreeBSD on to =93System A=94
> -	Once that installation is complete with selected
> ports and custom applications, I want to make an exact
> duplicate of =93System A=94 on =93System B=94
>
> I don=92t want to do this with drives in the same
> system, rather I would like to =93clone=94 =93System A=94
>
> Also, it would be nice to be able to do this as a
> =93mirroring=94 solution to keep a clone over time of the
> system in the case of failure of either =93System A=94 or
> =93System B=94
>
> Is this possible to do? If so, any direction on how I
> would do this would be welcome.

Install A, then B very minimal and rsync them (port: net/rsync). This assum=
es=20
a network between the two with different ip addresses :)

> Is there a port / application that enables this?

Pending your needs, you could try sysutils/heartbeat. But for periodical=20
syncs, rsync should do fine. The tricky part will be /etc/rc.conf, since=20
you'll need to differentiate the IP's.

=2D-=20
Mel

    and never get to the software part.