Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:43:32 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: vkernel & GSoC, some questions

--tMbDGjvJuJijemkf

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 01:16:41PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>    This reminds me of XEN.  Basically instead of trying to rewrite
>    instructions or do 100% hardware emulation it sounds like they are
>    providing XEN-like functionality where the target OS is aware it is
>    running inside a hypervisor and can make explicit 'shortcut' calls to
>    the hypervisor instead of attempting to access the resource via
>    emulated hardware.

That reminds me of IBM VM/CMS: CP (the hypervisor) had a variety of
magic "syscalls" (via the DIAGNOSE instruction) that CMS would use
to perform (eg) real I/O.

>    Frankly, I would love to see something like VMWare force an industry-w=
ide
>    API for machine access which bypasses the holy hell of a mess we have

It would need to be open and I can't see any particular driver for
VMWare (or anyone else) to force this.

>    with the BIOS, and see BIOSes then respec to a new far cleaner API.  T=
he
>    BIOS is the stinking pile of horseshit that has held back OS developme=
nt
>    for the last 15 years.

I'd go further and say that BIOSes are getting worse: Back in the
AT-clone days, you could just totally ignore the BIOS once you'd
gotten the kernel loaded.  Now you _have_ to keep talking to the
BIOS for things like ACPI - but the BIOSes are still just as broken
as they used to be.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--tMbDGjvJuJijemkf