Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 2008 13:33:54 +0200
From:      Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
To:        martinko <gamato@users.sf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: battery monitor with KDE 64 bit

This message is in MIME format and has been PGP signed.

--=_378pmmlh2qas

Quoting martinko <gamato@users.sf.net>:

> Lars Engels wrote:
>> Quoting Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm running 7.0 amd64 with KDE 3.5
>>>
>>> sysutils/klaptopdaemon works only on i386
>>>
>>> What battery monitor software are you using?
>>
>> dbsd-battinfo from sysutils/desktopbsd-tools offers you a tray icon.
>> sysutils/nbosd can show you battery info and cpu frequency on  =20
>> demand with and on screen display.
>>

>> Lars
>
> Hi Lars,
>
> sysutils/nbosd looks very nice and rather useful, thanks! :-)
>
> However, I can think of the following:
>
> There are 2 important/interesting information missing:
> - remaining run-time in hours:minutes when running on battery
> - CPU temperature (especially on laptops)

Good idea, it should be no problem to use sysctl to get those values.

> Also, it might be quite useful to render battery related info in red
> colour once battery charge drops below some (configurable) limit when
> not running on AC power.
>
> The last but not least important is this -- nbosd shows you info on
> demand only.  I find that most often I forget about my battery running
> flat and thus nbosd wouldn't help.  Any idea how to deal with it ?

nbosd was designed to show the value on demand. I have a keyboard =20
shortcut which shows me the OSD whenever I need it.
But the shortcut doesn't work in every case e.g. when playing =20
fullscreen games. So I taught nbosd to work together with devd and now =20
nbosd has an option to run as a daemon and only shows up when the =20
battery percentage falls below a user-defined value.
It still has some rough corners and the code needs to be cleaned up =20
that's why I haven't committed the new version.
I hope that my (very limited atm :-( ) time allows me get it finished, soon.

Lars

--=_378pmmlh2qas

--=_378pmmlh2qas--