Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:24:12 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio@vodafone.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org, freetds@lists.ibiblio.org, ale@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Troubles upgrading to freetds-0.82

On =DE=C5=D4=D7=C5=D2 26 =DE=C5=D2=D7=C5=CE=D8 2008, ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-I=
T wrote:
=3D >  2. Similarly, shared libraries, such as libtds.so.5 is no=20
=3D > longer installed,
=3D >     hurting binary compatibility (ABI) and, no doubt, some=20
=3D > Makefiles somewhere.
=3D=20
=3D yes, we removed entirely libTDS (headers and libraries) from
=3D distribution. This to assure future ABI.

It seems, a greater bunch of things are broken now, than I originally=20
thought -- php-backends no longer build, for example, as well as=20
libgda3-freetds:

	http://www.freshports.org/databases/libgda3-freetds
	http://www.freshports.org/databases/php5-sybase_ct

Oh, well...

=3D >  I notice, that BLK_VERSION_100 and _110 are still defined in=20
=3D > cspublic.h
=3D >  (both as CS_VERSION_100), but that's it -- the API=20
=3D > compatibility with the
=3D >  older version is now broken.
=3D=20
=3D :( fixed in a post patch at freetds.sf.net. James is planning to package
=3D an updated source package.

So, will there be a 0.83 sime time soon?

In addition, my personal pet-peeve is the lack of /automatic/ recognition o=
f=20
Sybase vs. SQL-server. I'm sure there is a way -- at the low level -- to=20
detect, what "flavor" the server is and set the settings->msdblib flag=20
automatically regardless of the compile-time setting.

Because, for example, currently one can only have either databases/freetds =
or=20
databases/freetds-msdblib

	http://www.freshports.org/databases/freetds
or
	http://www.freshports.org/databases/freetds-msdblib

And the same application (or a toolkit like Sybtcl) can not talk to both ty=
pes=20
of servers /at once/, unless it is hacked to change a connection's=20
settings->msdblib itself, which means, it has to be FreeTDS-aware, rather=20
than simply use the vendor's API.

Yours,

	-mi