Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 2008 04:47:23 -0700
From:      "karim sk" <karimulla@krify.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   kgdb error: Ignoring packet error, continuing....

   Hi,

   I am trying to setup kgdb on serial console in freebsd. I have done
   the following steps.

   1. Compile the kernel with the following options
   options DDB
   options KDB
   makeoptions DEBUG-g

   2.Installed the kernel on the target machine.
   3. Transferred the kernel.debug to host machine.
   4. Modified the file /boot/device.hints in the target machine to have
   sio flags as
   hint.sio.0.at="isa"
   hint.sio.0.port="0X3F8"
   hint.sio.0.flags="0x80"
   hint.sio.0.irq="4"
   5. Reboot the target machine. At the loader prompt type the following
       set comconsole_speed=9600
       boot -d
   Then the target machine stops at ddb> prompt.
   6.In the host machine type the following at kgdb prompt
   kgdb> set remotebaud 9600
   kgdb> file kernel.debug
   kgdb> target remote /dev/cuad0

   This is not able to establish the connection.
   It is giving following errors.
   Ignoring packet error, continuing...
   Ignoring packet error,  continuing...
   Couldn't establish connection to remote target.
   Malformed response to offset query, timeout.

   Can any body tell why packet error is coming when kgdb is trying to
   establish the connection.

   Thanks in advance.

   Karim

   I use Krify Mail - http://mail.krify.com  Get  yourmail at  Krify