Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:51:32 -0400
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Adrian Penisoara" <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, wbentley@futurecis.com, Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev@moneybookers.com>
Subject:   If not the force, what should I use? (Was: FreeBSD in Business (was Re: Idea for FreeBSD))

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:10:22 +0200 "Adrian Penisoara" <ady@freebsd.ady.ro> wrote:
> >> Yes, I am always reminded of that :).
> >> Well, to tell you the truth, I do not know of any other OS which
> >> requires prefixing with "force" the start/stop actions in order to act
> >> on the service at the command line, and personally I wish it weren't
> >> the case.
> > Well I bet you can find this in most linux distros that copy FreeBSD. What
> > about gentoo?
> Umm, I have used Gentoo and I do not remember having to use
> "forcestart" at the command line...

Ok, given that you 1) want to have both "XXXX this service if it's
part of our normal runtime" and "XXXX this service even if it's not
part of our normal runtime" as script commands, and that 2) XXXX
without a prefix gets the "if it's part of our normal runtime"
meaning, as we want the user to have to explicitly say "Yes, I know
this looks odd, but I know what I'm doing so do it anyway" to get the
"even if it's not part of our normal runtime" behavior, then what
would you have us use instead of "forceXXXX"?

Personally, I think "start -f" or "start --force" might have been
better, but it's to late to fix such a minor thing.

	<mike