Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:43:21 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Jose Amengual <jose.amengual@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compilation question 64bit, 32 bit

Quoting Jose Amengual <jose.amengual@gmail.com> (from Thu, 16 Oct 2008 =20
08:43:15 -0300):

> Hi Guys.
>
> The other day I install a server with jails with FreeBSD 7 32 bit in =20
> a 64 bit capable processor.
>
> After I install I start wondering some things that I point out here :
>
> Any benefit to install 64 bit vs 32 bit with the purpose of use jails ?

It depends. If you want to use more than 4G: yes.

> Can I install a 32 bit FreeBSD and create 64 bit jails ? ( using =20
> ezjail or downloading the full 64 bit source to create the jail ).

No.

> Can I install 32 bit FreeBSD and then made a make world and change =20
> it to 64 bit ? ( is recommended ?)

IIRC this depends upon your FreeBSD version. I think in CURRENT =20
there's code which supports that now. No guarantees.

> Can I install a FreeBSD 64 bit and create 32 bit jails ?

Sort of. You can install a 32bit world into the jail and make sure =20
32bit support is activated in the kernel. The 32bit programs will then =20
run just fine in the jail (but 64bit ones should run fine too). It's =20
the same way as you can run linux programs in a jail.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137