Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 2008 19:47:09 +0100
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: usb2: scanner no longer working

On Friday 07 November 2008, Ed Schouten wrote:
> * Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net> wrote:
> > Try changing ownership of the USB devices? Maybe it is a permissions
> > problem.
> >
> > usbconfig -u xx -a xx set_owner xx:yy
>
> What's wrong with chmod(1) and chown(1)?

Hi Ed,

Basically there is nothing wrong with using chmod and chown. Hence USB has its
own directory system which is not part of devfs, it was natural to also have
a separate utility to set the permissions and ownership, which might become
more complicated than simply a user and group. At EuroBSDcon this year I got
some ideas about defining functional permission groups, like permissions for
all USB keyboards for example, instead of permissions for individual devices.
This pradigm will then break with chmod and chown.

--HPS