Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:26:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jhb@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Trimming the default /boot/device.hints

In message: <20090131093130.GA17896@dragon.NUXI.org>
            "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org> writes:
: At least for amd64, I'd like to see all the hints removed.  We should
: make these assumptions.

We can't remove all hints, unless we require ACPI.  The floppy drives
don't enumerate properly without hints in the PNPBIOS case.  I don't
know if the floppies enumerate correctly for ACPI, but the code that's
there seems to assume that enumerating via _FDE might fail sometimes
and the fallback method is hints.  This suggests that keeping the fd
hints is a good thing.

We also want hints to wire down uart0 and uart1 to their traditional
COM1 and COM2 places.  At least that's been an oft-reported bug when
we don't.

My current 'hints' file is thus:

hint.fd.0.at="fdc0"
hint.fd.0.drive="0"
hint.fd.1.at="fdc0"
hint.fd.1.drive="1"
hint.sc.0.at="isa"
hint.sc.0.flags="0x100"
hint.uart.0.at="isa"
hint.uart.0.port="0x3F8"
hint.uart.0.flags="0x10"
hint.uart.1.at="isa"
hint.uart.1.port="0x2F8"

I'm too chicken to remove the hint.sc.0 hints, but maybe they can go.

As for the i386 stuff, John and I realized we were being too grumpy,
stopped grumping and worked it out later.  Apart from some really
minor tweaks, I believe John is going to go ahead and commit basically
what he proposed.  While one can run the above hints on x86 as well,
we're not going to push things that far just yet.  Maybe with 9 that
will be the default and we'll have a 'LEGACY' kernel with all the
gunk...  or maybe we'll just let it die...  For now, we'll keep the
extra stuff I suggested removing since it means we can still have one
kernel that boots the basics on non-enumerated systems.

Warner