Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 2009 13:44:40 GMT
From:      rwatson@FreeBSD.org
To:        jchambers@ucla.edu, rwatson@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/130605: [tcp] Certain hardware produces "Network is unreachable" errors for scanning tools

Synopsis: [tcp] Certain hardware produces "Network is unreachable" errors for scanning tools

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: rwatson
State-Changed-When: Mon Feb 2 13:32:50 UTC 2009
State-Changed-Why:
Hi Jason:

Thanks for your detailed bug report.  It seems like a few things are going
on here, and probably need to be diagnosed individaully.  First, the error
reported by Nessus, "BIOCSRTIEOUT: Invalid argument" can, I believe, only
be triggered in the following kernel code:

int
itimerfix(struct timeval *tv)
{

        if (tv->tv_sec < 0 || tv->tv_usec < 0 || tv->tv_usec >= 1000000)
                return (EINVAL);
        if (tv->tv_sec == 0 && tv->tv_usec != 0 && tv->tv_usec < tick)
                tv->tv_usec = tick;
        return (0);
}

This suggests that Nessus is passing an unexpectedly high or low number
of usec's, and is therefore probably an application bug.

In general, "Network is unreachable" (ENETUNREACH) is generated by protocol
sockets when the destination host is on a non-local network and the gateway
specified in the route to the host is unreachable -- for example, ARP can't
find the gateway, the device link is down, etc.

Is there any indication in the system logs of the link state going up and
down?  You can use "route -n monitor" to track some of the relevant events.
Given that you've tried multiple cards, I can't help but wondering if
there is a cabling, switch, or router problem, so if you haven't already,
I'd follow those possible lines of diagnosis as well.