Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 2009 21:51:26 +0200
From:      Jaakko Heinonen <jh@saunalahti.fi>
To:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gpart probing problem

I noticed a regression after gpart (GEOM_PART_*) was made default.

I have a disk which has remnants of an old GPT table but which has a
valid MBR table. Previously I got following messages to the log but the
MBR partition was da0s1 was properly detected.

GEOM: da0: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: da0: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.
GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider da0s1 is msdosfs/FOO.

Now with gpart as default the MBR table is not detected and I can't
access the da0s1 partition. These messages appear to the log:

GEOM: da0: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: da0: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.

g_part_gpt_probe() only does a check for GPT header signature existence
but it doesn't check if the table is actually valid. gpart doesn't try
other schemes after it has decided to use GPT.

--
Jaakko