Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:11:30 +0200
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Charles Howse <chowse@charter.net>
Subject:   Re: analyzing httpd-error.log

On Sunday 29 March 2009 22:25:55 Charles Howse wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Charles Howse <chowse@charter.net>
> >
> > wrote:

> > What are the errors?
>
> Intrusion attempts, (a few) bad links in my website, also I use the
> error.log to troubleshoot cgi scripts.

Nothing beats tail -f for debugging.

404's can be gathered from access log, by webalizer (or awstats or ...) and
are summarized when enabled. If I remember correctly, there's also a referer
top list, that specifies which pages link to invalid pages, but it may have
been awstats that does this.

Can't think of anything specific for apache error log, I roll my own grok
rules if I'm really interested in a specific vulnerability. See sysutils/grok.
--
Mel